- Home page
- About Us
- How To Shop
- Recipes and Serving Suggestions
- The shop at the Smokehouse
- Ordering for Christmas & New Year 2013
- Overseas orders for Christmas & New Year 2013
- Delivery Information and Advice
- Special Advice for USA orders
- How Much Will I Need
- Product Ingredients and Nutritional Information
- Hebridean Salmon and Sea Trout
- The story of Peat
- Contact us
- Monty's Cottage
Poetry of Place : Highland and Islands
There are few landscapes in the western world more bewitching than the mountain glens of the Scottish Highlands and the scattered islands of the Hebrides. The beauty of this region, its tumultuous history and the musical and poetic nature of its people has produced a remarkable oral heritage.
There are verses composed by gentle scholar saints, incantations and stirring panegyrics by the Gaelic bards, Jacobite songs and satires, laments inspired by love and exile, and great poems from the recent renaissance in the Gaidhealtachd, which address subjects that will resonate with anybody familiar with the region today.
The selection has been made by Mary Miers, who lives in the Highlands and has a long association with the Outer Hebrides through forbears and her family home in South Uist. She combines a deep knowledge of the places, people and psyche of the Highlands and Islands with the eye of a travelling scholar of architecture.
All copies have been signed by Mary Miers.
Book dimensions 150mm x 100mm